The Partnership for a Drug Free America to Hold a Virtual Press Conference Announcing Launch of “A Parent’s Guide to the Teen Brain”
– New Site to Help Parents Decode Teen Behavior and Connect with their Kids
– Release of the 20th annual Partnership Attitude Tracking Study
WHAT: The Partnership for a Drug Free America will debut their newest online parenting tool: “A Parent’s Guide to the Teen Brain.” The site launch also coincides with the release of the 20th annual Partnership Attitude Tracking Study (PATS), a survey of parents’ attitudes about drugs and alcohol.
WHY: For every parent of a teenager who has ever wondered “who is this kid?” the website aims to make answering that question easier. Designed to help parents navigate the confusing, often frustrating teen years, “A Parent’s Guide to the Teen Brain” translates recent scientific findings that shed light on how brain development shapes teens’ behavior and personalities into easy-to-understand tips and tools for parents.
The site explains that the human brain takes 25 years to fully develop, with areas responsible for complex judgment and decision-making maturing last. Through video, humorous interactive segments, role-playing and advice from experts, parents learn how adolescent brain development explains the “normal” teen behaviors that often confound parents—impulsiveness, rebellion, high emotions and risk-taking, especially with drugs and alcohol—and how to use this new information to connect with their teens.
The 2007 PATS study shows that as kids become teenagers, their parents need for information and help talking about drugs and alcohol peaks, and parents’ confidence in their ability to keep kids from using drugs and alcohol begins to wane.
WHO: A distinguished panel of experts will participate in a discussion about “A Parent’s
Guide to the Teen Brain including:
· Steve Pasierb: President and Chief Executive Officer of the Partnership for a Drug Free America
· Ken Winters, Ph.D.: director of the Center for Adolescent Substance Abuse Research, a Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Minnesota, and a Senior Scientist with the Treatment Research Institute, Philadelphia, PA.
· Tara Paterson: certified parenting coach, mother of three, founder of the Mom’s Choice Awards (which honor excellence in family friendly media, products and services), author of the upcoming book Raising Intuitive Children and contributor to justformom.com.
Highlights of the Virtual Press Conference will include:
· Detailed explanation/run through of “A Parents Guide to the Teen Brain”
· Explanation about the links between teen behavior and the physiological changes happening in the teen brain
· Explanation of findings from the 2007 PATS study
· Discussion of how to apply the scientific findings about the teen brain to real life
· Valuable insight from a parent and parenting coach
WHERE TO REGISTER*: http://www.iian.ibeam.com/events/otsp001/26609/
WHEN: June 11, 2008 from 10:00 am – 11:00 am
To download video of the webcast in broadcast quality format (available June 11th from 10am – 11am ET) please visit the coordinates below:
Galaxy 26 Transponder 1 C BAND Analog
Downlink frequency is 3720 Vertica
Beta copies can be requested after the event, but will require additional time for delivery.
Media Contacts: Judy Klein, o: 212-251-1204, m: 917-282-9352, e: email@example.com
Paul Costiglio, o: 212-973-3530, m: 917-686-8697, e: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the Partnership for a Drug-Free America, visit http://www.drugfree.org.
# # #